Nicki Minaj: Every Time I Change My Hair Its a High

Stylewatch Style News Now

10/02/2012 at 10:00 AM ET

Nicki MinajKevin Mazur/WireImage

Nicki Minaj has tried almost every color of the rainbow on her head from pink and purple to green and everything in between but she doesnt do it for shock value. As it turns out, she has a bit of an addiction.

I get tired of things really quickly, Minaj, who recently released her first fragrance, Pink Friday, tells PEOPLE. I love change when it comes to my look its like I need a new fix. Its like a high to me every time I change my hair its a high.

Hair aside, Minaj is constantly reinventing herself through clothing, too, experimenting in head-to-toe leopard ensembles and a stuffed animal adorned dress, among other looks.But she might wear something even more out-there (yes, its possible) in the near future. Maybe next year Ill just walk around in a space suit and a big helmet and call it a day, she jokes.

The ra! pper reveals that it takes about an hour and a half to get camera-ready, which she actually considers time wasted. I find every bit of [getting ready] annoying I dont like sitting around. I like being busy, Minaj explains.

But seeing her final over-the-top look usually justifies the hours spent creating it. [I love] when I go from zero to 10 and everybody sees 10 even my stylists never know what Im wearing, she shares. Ill say, Bring me a whole bunch of clothes, and Ill go in and put stuff together So sitting there, and getting makeup done, I dont love it but afterwards its like, Yay! We created a new doll today.

To read more of Minajs interview, pick up the Oct. 8 issue of PEOPLE, on newsstands now. Tell us: What do you think of Minajs style? What should she wear next?

Jennifer Cress, reporting by Jackie Fields

TRY STARS CRAZIEST HAIRSTYLES ON IN INSTANT MAKEOVER