Nicki Minaj Says It's Murddder Inc. Boss Who Inspired "Moment 4 Life"

News: Nicki Minaj Says It's Murddder Inc. Boss Who Inspired "Moment 4 Life"

Thursday, May 24, 2012 10:05AM

Written by Cyrus Langhorne

Young Money star Nicki Minaj recently discussed her 2010 "Moment 4 Life" anthem and how former Murder Inc. CEO Irv Gotti ultimately inspired the track's existence.

According to Minaj, a simple conversation with Gotti helped spark the record.

"When I was writing my first album, Pink Friday, I had a conversation with one of my really good friends, his name is Irv Gotti, and we had this really interesting conversation where he told me, 'Enjoy this moment, you'll never get this moment ever again, you'll never be the new girl on the scene ever again, and so I went into the studio. I heard this amazing track, and right there in the moment I kind of wished I could freeze everything that was happening because it just felt so exciting, people were all of a sudden interested in me. As an underground artist, I wasn't really used to that." (The Insider)

She also credited Grammy-winning singer Beyonce Knowles-Carter for inspiring her new Pepsi campaign.

"Out of the people that have done something with Pepsi, I think I was probably the most influenced by the Beyonc commercial because I felt like this is a young Black girl, early on in her career and she's doing something so iconic and I never thought in a bi! llion ye ars that Pepsi would reach out to someone like me." (The Insider)

Prior to her 2010 platinum-selling Pink Friday album debut, Gotti boasted about Minaj's potential.

"The world has yet to see the best of Nicki Minaj. What she's delivering to the world now is basically what they want. But I know that she's a super talented superstar who can do anything at a high level--rap, sing, act, whatever she wants to do. This is just the beginning of Nicki Minaj. Her best is yet to come. In my opinion she is as talented as my other girl Lauryn Hill. They have completely different styles. But as far as the talent is concerned they both can do it all. Nicki just isn't showing it yet 'cause she doesn't want to. But world be prepared 'cause she's the truth." (VIBE)

She later came forward and defended Gotti comparing her to Grammy winner Lauryn Hill.

The Lil Wayne protg recently revealed that she has played material for Irv Gotti from her forthcoming debut Pink Friday, and that based on what she made him privy to, the likening to Ms. Hill isn't just hot air. "Irv has been privy to hear things that I've done that the world hasn't heard," she told CNN. "Based on the music I have out now, that sounds like an absurd comment, but when 'Pink Friday' comes out, you will completely understand why Irv made that comparison." (Rap-Up)

Check out a recent Nicki Minaj interview below: