Nicki Minaj's tour is "intimate but big", says Laurieann Gibson

Laurieann Gibson has praised Nicki Minaj's 'Pink Friday' tour, saying that the live show is "intimate but big".

Choreographer and creative director Gibson worked with the 'Right By My Side' rapper on her latest production and admitted that, while working out the concept was a "challenge", she is ultimately "really proud of" the final result.

Laurieann Gibson
Nicki Minaj

Rex Features / Startraks Photo/Rex Features

"Nicki Minaj was so much fun for me, and it was like a real breath of fresh air, and musically, to get back to the rap game, to see a female MC dominate the pop charts - this, historically, for me, I feel a bit of responsibility," Gibson explained to MTV News.

"When I did 'The Rain', that video for Missy [Elliott], and just with Puff and the evolution of Bad Boy Records and my responsibility there and the pressure to maintain dominant rappers [on major award shows] and not let them lose street credibility, the years of all that torture... and all of those moments.

"When I got back to Nicki, I was so happy to be in that soulful music again, in that fight, in the idea that rap is not dead and that somebody like her can be many things in many genres and not be limited."

Gibson went on to say that she was thrilled with Minaj's sophomore album, adding: "I love [when] I heard Roman Reloaded. I loved her delivery. I love the way she flows. So the 'Pink Friday' tour is really good and it's kind of like a glimpse back to what a real rap show is. It's intimate but big at the same time."

Earlier this year, Minaj announced her first UK headlining tour to take place in June.

> Nicki Minaj: 'Parents should protect children from explicit lyrics'

Watch Nicki Minaj's video for 'Right By My Side' featuring Nas and Chris Brown below: