Nicki Minaj Pledges Support for Obama

No, Nicki Minaj did not endorse Mitt Romney last week. Yes, she rapped in a Lil Wayne track that, "I'm a Republican, voting for Mitt Romney," however it turns out she was just playing a character.

Obama called it during an interview with Orlando, Florida radio station, Power 95.3, this morning (Sept. 10). "Yeah, I'm not sure that's actually what happened. I think she had a song on there, a little rap that said that. But she likes to play different characters. So I don't know what's going on there," Obama said.

Music & Politics: 5 Moments When They Didn't Mix

After hearing about Obama's comments, the rapper confirmed Monday on Twitter that she was just being sarcastic with the lyric.

"Ha! Thank you for understanding my creative humor & sarcasm Mr. President, the smart ones always do... sends love & support," she said. "Now I can tell my grandchildren that the 1st black President of the United States took the time to address a Nicki Minaj question."

As soon as Lil Wayne's "Dedication 4" mixtape dropped last week, there was one verse in particular that caught people's ears. "I'm a Republican, voting for Mitt Romney / You lazy bitches is fu-kin' up the economy," Minaj rhymes on "Dedication 4" track, "Mercy."

Prior to speaking directly on Nicki's verse, Obama mentioned that he doesn't "think" that his daughters, Sasha and Malia, listen to the Young Money rapstress "that much."

"I don't think they really listen to Nicki Minaj that much," he said. "But let's face it, they are now hipper than me. There's a certain po! int where your kids get old enough where they're hipper than you are."

"Michelle and I, for folks of 50 or as she likes to point out close to 50, because she's not 50 yet, we try to keep up so we've got a nice Hip Hop collection on our iPods," Obama continued.