'American Idol' star Nicki Minaj: 'I don't have time to tour'

Nicki Minaj has expressed doubts about going on tour this year.

The 'Beez in the Trap' singer explained that her commitment to American Idol and her attempt to launch a clothing line and a branded drink will likely be her focus for the time being.

Nicki Minaj, Times Square

Kristin Callahan/Rex Features

Nicki Minaj performs at Times Square

"I don't think I can [tour]," Minaj told MTV News. "I really would love to, but I don't think I'll have the time. It's a lot."

Minaj also expressed interest in working on a new album, which will likely shed the Pink Friday imagery from her previous releases.

"I obviously am going to start working on the third album very, very soon," the star hinted. "I'm getting beats as we speak. I just haven't started writing, but that's my biggest priority at this point."

The American Idol judge continued: "Even though I am the same now [as during the Pink Friday era], my experiences have changed me in good ways, to be honest. Like, I'm in a place now of being super grateful and appreciative for everything, and I want that to show in everything that I do.

"So Pink Friday, it's like a great chapter and I love it - it represents new things. But I really want to start a new era."

Nicki Minaj, 21st Annual Elton John AIDS Foundations Osc!   ar Viewing Party

Nicki Minaj at Elton John's Oscar bash

Minaj recently praised her own performance as an American Idol judge this season, describing herself as a "spectacular" addition to the panel.

There have been conflicting reports in recent weeks about whether Minaj will be asked back to American Idol next season.

American Idol airs Wednesdays and Thursdays on Fox in the US, and on Thursdays and Fridays on 5* in the UK.

Watch Nicki Minaj's 'Beez in the Trap' music video below: