Nicki Minaj on Judging 'American Idol': 'Blowing Smoke Up Their Ass' Is a Disservice

Never one to mince words, American Idol season 12 judge Nicki Minaj has a very straightforward view of her judging style.

"When I speak in a blunt way, like I do, people take that as me not loving or caring about these people, but I really do," the rapper tells The Hollywood Reporter. "They are family to me, I feel like I'm not doing them a service if I blow smoke up their ass. I refuse to do that."

PHOTOS: 'American Idol' Season 12: Mariah Carey, Nicki Minaj Search for a Winner

There's no doubt the sassy New Yorker has brought plenty of fireworks to the Fox competition. But, she insists, not one tear is fake or insincere.

Judge for yourself by viewing THR's interview with Minaj immediately following Lazaro Arbos' elimination on Thursday night and let us know: do you love or loathe Nicki Minaj on Idol?

Twitter: @Idol_Worship