Nicki Minaj Says She Needs A Chill Pill, "I've Been Working Sooo Much"

News: Nicki Minaj Says She Needs A Chill Pill, "I've Been Working Sooo Much"

Saturday, Feb 11, 2012 7:39PM

Written by Cyrus Langhorne

Bookmark and Share

Young Money star Nicki Minaj recenty opened up on her seemingly overnight spark from local emcee to global sensation and why she needs to kick back and enjoy the moment.

In Nicki's eyes, she has been in overdrive but also realizes the entertainment industry is a demanding business.

"Ugh! I have been working sooo much. Success came and now that somany eyes are on me, I feel I have to deliver. And it's a business. No joke. I guess I am stressing more than I should be, and I think I am becoming more guarded." (Paper Mag)

Last year, Minaj talked about her pre-fame days and nearly ending it all.

"I kept having doors slammed on my face," Minaj recalled of her pre-fame days. "I felt like nothing was working. I had moved out on my own, and here I was thinking I'd have to go home. It was one dead end after another. At one point, I was, like, 'What would happen if I just didn't wake up?' That's how I felt. Like maybe I should just take my life?" (Cosmopolitan)

Back in 2010, hip-hop veteran MC Lyte discussed Minaj's genre-trascending abilities.

"Those who really need to be worried by Nicki's record is Fergie, Gwen Stefani, Nelly Furtado," Lyte said in an interview. "Nicki is coming out to win. She's not thinking of the block. She's not just thinking of the city. So she's able to handle so many areas of what it takes right now to be an international star. So hats off to everybody that's doing it but, I see the vision that Nicki sees for herself that people probably didn't see before." (VH1)

Up for multiple Grammy awards this Sunday, the platinum-selling rapper recently said she is just proud of the acknowledgement.

"When I was at the Grammys last year, it was like I didn't even exist. And then to now be performing and nominated, it's a big deal," Minaj said in an interview. "I'm not going to be nervous about winning because I really don't think I'm going to win anything. The way I look at it is, I know eventually, in my career, I'm going to have Grammys. This year is just about being nominated and feeling grateful, feeling like my fans and I have come a very long way and we're just going to celebrate this moment. Nothing else matters - winning, not winning, it doesn't matter. It just matters that they get to see a girl from the hood take these steps and continue to take these steps, just with hard work." (Pandora Internet Radio)

Check out a recent Nicki Minaj interview below: