Nicki Minaj Talks Grammy Performance, M.I.A. Super Bowl Stunt & New Single

Nicki Minaj has had a busy month, from performing with Madonna and M.I.A. at the 2012 Super Bowl XLVI halftime to the 54th Annual Grammy Awards yesterday (Feb. 12).

When calling into Ryan Seacrest this morning (Feb. 13), via Rap-Up, Minaj shared details on how her Grammy performance came to be. "I had this vision for Roman [Zolanski], I had this vision for him to be sort of exorcised -- or actually he never gets exorcised -- but people around him tell him that he's not good enough because he's not normal, and he's not blending in with the average Joe. And so his mother is scared and the people around him are afraid because they've never seen anything like him."

"He [Roman] wanted to show that not only is he amazing and he's sure of himself and confident, but he's never gonna change, he's never gonna be exorcised. Even when they throw the holy water on him, he still rises above. That's what was portrayed," Minaj told Seacrest.

Minaj conitnued to share that it was the "most comfortable" she's ever been on stage. There's good reason for that confidence too. "Roman Holiday" was so memorable, it also hooked Grammy producers from the first listen.

"The Grammys chose 'Roman Holiday.' The producers of the Grammys came to the studio and I played them 'Roman Holiday,' and I could not play them another record after they heard that," Minaj revealed. "They went crazy. I could have chosen to do a no-brainer pop song, but I can't do it anymore. I have to stay true to what I'm doing."

The presence of a legend, prior ot the Grammys, helped inspire Nicki in new ways, making her more focused than ever. "Meeting Madonna changed my life. Working with Madonna changed m! y life. Rehearsing with Madonna for two weeks changed my life," Minaj professed. "I saw how much Madonna sacrificed and how much she rehearses and rehearses and rehearses and rehearses, and everyone there was like, 'We got it.' But she was like, 'No, I want you to know this choreography in your sleep.'"

"This performance was it and this is the first performance that I'm proud of in my entire career," Minaj said of her Super Bowl halftime performance, aside Madonna and M.I.A.

Minaj had some words in regards to M.I.A.'s brash hand gesture during the halftime show, feeling at first "disappointment" beause of "respect tor Madonna."

"I'm a cuckoo lady too, but I would never be able to do it off the strength of Madonna. There are fines that go into these things, and I just thought, 'Oh my God. I hope they don't penalize Madonna.' Madonna knows the artist that M.I.A. is and it was her decision to take the risk with all of us. We were kinda all firecrackers and she took that risk. She's done some crazy things becoming the icon that she is, so I think that's why she was able to forgive M.I.A.," she said. "I love M.I.A. and I don't want to say anything that is the wrong thing, but me personally, I couldn't see myself doing it, just for the respect for Madonna," Minaj admitted. "I wouldn't want any backlash to come back on Madonna."

On a more positive note, Minaj also chatted about her new single, "Starships," off her sophomore album, "Pink Friday: Roman Reloaded" (April 3). Calling it a "Ryan Secrest-type of record," Nicki felt assured that the track will connect with her fans. "I know people are gonna love it. It feels right. It just feels good. It makes people feel happy and that's all I want," Nicki said.

Seacrest will debut "Starships" tomorrow, Tues. (Feb. 14), and will be available on iTunes shortly after.