Nicki Minaj: I am pop culture

Nicki Minaj says she is the epitome of "pop culture" because what she's doing is "kinda popular".

The Trinidadian-born musician has a unique fashion sense and style of rapping. Although she has a hip-hop background, Nicki notes that she has become more mainstream in recent months.

"I guess I am pop culture just because what I'm doing seems to be popular. When people want to do what you're doing, it's kinda popular," she told MTV News.

"I don't ask girls to wear pink hair; they just do it. It's not about black or white; I think it's just a statement. It doesn't matter which colour you are; it's just a statement of being fearless."

Nicki recently performed a theatrical version of Roman Holiday at the Grammy Awards. The star loves being dramatic on stage.

"That's just who I am. I was a theatre major; I studied theatre," Nicki explained.

"It's funny because, even with the Grammys, that wasn't the first time I've done theatre. Like Moment 4 Life, I did a skit I was pretending to be an old lady, Martha, when I did Right Thru Me, I did a skit. I always try to do that when I have the forum to do it."

Cover Media