Nicki Minaj to tour Australia in May

Nicki Minaj

Pink Friday tour dates announced ... Nicki Minaj is coming to Australia in May. Picture: Supplied Source: Supplied

THE world's most colourful rapping pop star Nicki Minaj will launch her second album with her first Australian tour in May.

Minaj has dominated the Australian airwaves in recent months with her new single Starships and Turn Me On, with David Guetta, which was the theme for Young Talent Time's return.

Madonna has also tapped her two singles from her MDNA record including Give Me All Your Luvin' and I Don't Give A.

The social media maven has more than 10 million Twitter followers and refers to her fans as Barbz, inspired by Barbie, and was heavily lobbied to tour here.

"So many of my Aussie Barbz were telling me to get my ass down there. They demanded it, so here I come,'' she said.

Like Katy Perry, Lady Gaga and Rihanna, Minaj has made her mark with her theatrical and outlandish costumes, quirky personality and genre hopping across dance, R&B and rap.

And the lady loves a wig.

"I won't wear red. I have always been a pink girl and I feel like red is the anti-pink,'' she said.

Her new record Pink Friday: Roman Reloaded reveals Minaj's masculine alter ego.

Just as Gaga unleashed her inner male Joe Calderone to refresh her You and I single, Roman is Minaj's blokey character.

"He just came out of nowhere. He says everything you want to say but don't, the taboo stuff,'' she said.

"I think the reason female artists are exploring male characters is because we want to be in control and to be powerful and not have men take advantage of us so we start channelling this more masculi! ne side of ourselves,'' she said.

Minaj will perform at Sydney's Hordern Pavilion on May 16 and Hisense Arena in Melbourne on May 18, with tickets on sale from March 30.

Pink Friday: Roman reloaded is out on April 2.