Nicki Minaj Rips Her Tags Off, "A Person Can Take That The Wrong Way & Apply A Negative Spin"

News: Nicki Minaj Rips Her Tags Off, "A Person Can Take That The Wrong Way & Apply A Negative Spin"

Friday, Mar 9, 2012 11:20AM

Written by Rosario Harper

Bookmark and Share

Less than a month away from her Pink Friday: Roman Reloaded album release, Young Money's Nicki Minaj talks about her resistance to boxing the LP's sound an

Claiming that the sound of her new album wanders into a new direction, Nicki stresses that hip-hop heads should not try to find a balance between pop and rap on her latest LP.

"You know what, I cannot break my album down into how the normal person like yourself would break an album down and say, well this is rap and this is pop," Nicki said in an interview. "There is no rap or pop for me. It's Nicki Minaj. It's one collective body of amazing work. You'll feel it. I don't like the labels because sometimes just by one word or one label, a person can take that the wrong way and apply a negative spin to that. So I don't give my music labels." (VIBE)

Last week, Minaj spoke on fans taking heed to her pop-sounding records as of late.

"I guess I am pop culture just because what I'm doing seems to be popular. When people want to do what you're doing, it's! kinda p opular," she reasoned. "I don't ask girls to wear pink hair; they just do it. It's not about black or white; I think it's just a statement. It doesn't matter which color you are; it's just a statement of being fearless." (MTV)

In February, the self-proclaimed "Barbie" questioned her fans' perspectives and claimed she is capable of making multifaceted sounding records.

"I would hope that people know at this point that I'm smart enough to know what I'm doing all the time. But I guess they still kind of waiver. I always intended on putting out something urban after 'Starships,' because I knew 'Starships' was a monster," she explained. "Maybe it would be a problem if I couldn't deliver records like 'Roman Reloaded,' but I can. I write my own lyrics. Once again, I write my own lyrics. So it's never a problem. Whatever I feel, I can write, I can create it. So I'm good. I think people sometimes get blown away by the magnitude of the pop stuff, because the pop stuff, it reaches everywhere and then I feel like my hip-hop fans or hip-hop culture starts getting a little bit afraid that I'm going to leave. But this is who I am. I'm not going to change - I'm just adding on to my brand. And if you don't understand that, then it's probably why you don't travel and you don't see the world and I probably can't even have a conversation with you anymore." (Hot 97)

Her sophomore album is currently slated to hit store shelves next month.

The cover of the standard edition of Nicki Minaj's Pink Friday 2: Roman Reloaded has been circulating the internet for a few weeks. The "Super Bass" rapper has unveiled the cover art for the deluxe edition. Rap's favorite barbie poses topless with paint strategically splashed on her nude body. Pick up your own topless Ni! cki Mina j album cover when it drops on April 3rd. (The Urban Daily)

Check out a recent Nicki Minaj interview below: