Nicki Minaj Suffered "Horrible" Wardrobe Malfunction

Nicki Minaj stole the show at last year's American Music Awards with her killer performance, but what fans don't know is that the "Super Bass" singer had a major costume and coif mishap.

PHOTOS: Nicki Minaj's craziest hairstyles

"The American Music Awards was set to be an amazing performance, but then I had a horrible malfunction with the clothes and the hair ten minutes before I opened," she tells the new issue of Complex magazine. "So I was backstage having a fing nervous breakdown. My hair was supposed to light up, my choker was too small."

VIDEO: Nicki Minaj gives Drake a lap dance

Ever the pro, Minaj managed to pull it together. "So while I was in the box, waiting for the show to open, I had to rip the s off, throw it to the side, and act like nothing happened. When I got off stage I freaked out because it was just so emotional. I really, really, really wanted that to be a dope show."

AUDIO: Hear Nicki's single with Jay Sean

In addition to releasing her sophomore album, Pink Friday: Roman Reloaded, April 3, the 29-year-old is working on a fragrance and apparel line.

PHOTO: See Nicki's banging bikini body

"They took stuff that I've worn, focused on what I like, and then they started doing sketches," she says. "They're pretty amazing. I was like 'Oh my God, the kids are going to love this.' It's not gonna get done overnight, but I know that it's something they're ! going to love."