Nicki Minaj: 'Ice Age 4 is a blessing and an honor'

Nicki Minaj has described her role in Ice Age: Continental Drift as a "blessing and an honour".

The 'Starships' singer said that joining Queen Latifah, Drake, Ray Romano and Denis Leary in the animated movie's all-star cast was one of the great moments of her career.

Nicki Minaj performing live at the Hammersmith Appollo
Queen Latifah

"I just think it's a blessing and an honour. And seriously, I can't believe I'm in an Ice Age movie," she said according to Flicks and Bits. "My nieces and my little brothers, they're freaking out. They think I'm making it up. They won't believe it until the movie comes out that I'm doing a voice in Ice Age 4."

Minaj added of the film's cast: "Of course, Queen Latifah, I've looked up to her for so many years, she embodies everything that I'd like to do, you know? She went from acting, she does acting, animation voices - she's everything to me.

"To be a part of something she's a part of makes me very proud. Just working in that environment, the people on the movie were dope people. Everyone was so encouraging. When I was working on it I was like, 'This is the best job in the world!'"

Minaj also quipped that she could not pass up the chance to play a vain wooly mammoth.

"Well, [my character] Steffie, she's a cutesy little ladybug, and of course I call everyone ladybugs if I really love them. But of course she's not a ladybug, she's huge, but she's so beautiful," the star said.

"She's a mam! moth, sh e has blonde hair and she does really cute stuff with her hair. She does her lashes, she does stuff with mascara. And, you know, she's cutesy! I think she's great."

Ice Age: Continental Drift opens in the US and UK on July 13.