Nicki Minaj ditches her hot pink lipstick for ELLE magazine

Nicki Minaj is ELLE US magazine's cover star and looks (comparatively) restrained in a strap-trim leather jacket by Tom Ford.

Nicki ditched the hot pink lipstick and crazy wigs for a photo shoot but found the barely-there look challenging.

"When I saw myself with barely any makeup at, it was such a like, I'm so, so attached to my pink lipstick, it's hard. I feel that it's become a part of me.

"To go in front of the camera, without pink lips or big ol' crazy lashes - you know, nothing - I felt naked. It was scary! So this photo shoot was a real accomplishment in my eyes."

The 'Super Bass' rapper also shared some tips on commanding respect: "My advice to women in general: even if you're doing a nine-to-five job, treat yourself like a boss.

"Be sure of what you want and don't allow people to run anything for you without your knowledge. You want everyone to know, 'Okay, I can't play games with her. I have to do right by this woman.' That's what it's all about."

Nicki had some fun after the photoshoot, playing the role of journalist and celebrity by interviewing herself.

Safe to assume Ms. Minaj has experience with journalists... she did pretty well!

What do you think of Nicki's barely-there look?

JESSIE J SHAVES HER HEAD

DANNII: X FACTOR ISN'T PART OF MY LIFE

CARA DELEVINGNE LAUNCHES YSL MASCARA