Nicki Minaj blames Target, Walmart for low sales of 'The Re-Up'

Nicki Minaj has claimed that sales of her new album The Re-Up are lower than expected because key retailers have refused to stock it.

Pink Friday: Roman Reloaded - The Re-Up is a special box set reissue of the Trinidadian rapper's second studio album, featuring eight additional songs and a behind-the-scenes DVD.

Nicki Minaj at the AMAs 2012

Rex Features / Jim Smeal / BEI

Released on November 19, the album has not done as well as expected, according to a report from Pop Crush.

In an interview with Power 105.1, Minaj shared her feelings on the album's reception, saying: "It's hard to get the album because the stores basically said that the last few re-releases they had put out did not do well and they didn't want to take a chance.

"So Target and Walmart [are] not selling the album. And Target is actually my biggest retailer. They've sold the most Nicki Minaj albums ever; thank you Target, but I wish you could have sold this one... it kind of sets you up to fail."

Minaj has released several new singles from the reissue, including 'The Boys' and, most recently, 'Freedom'.

She added: "At the end of the day I'm happy that I was able to put the music out.

"The real reason for me to put out The Re-Up is because I wanted to have a bridge between this time and the third album. I wanted people to have music that I really stand by."

Watch the video for 'Freedom' below:

For more breaking entertainment and tech coverage follow Digital Spy on Instagram, Twitter and Facebook.