Nicki Minaj: "Why do people ask me to lose swear words?"

Nicki Minaj has revealed that she has no plans to tone down the explicit content in her songs.

The rapper insisted that she will not compromise her lyrics after achieving mainstream success, which has included obtaining a younger fan base.

Nicki Minaj: 'Beez In The Trap' video still

"Why do people ask me to lose swear words? Do people ask Eminem to lose swear words," Minaj said to The Guardian.

"Do they ask Lil Wayne to lose swear words? I did an interview the other day and when I saw it back I'm like, 'Why the hell did she make the interview all about some goddamned kids?'

"It was crazy. Five-year-old children shouldn't be the subject of a Nicki Minaj interview."

She added: "Don't you think it's strange, though? I used to see Eminem in concert and people were bringing their little brother or whatever.

Nicki Minaj signs copies of her new album 'Pink Friday: Roman Reloaded' at HMV
Eminem

Rex Features / Jon Beretta

"Nobody stops them and says, 'Would you stop swearing, Eminem, for loads of money?' I don't get it, I don't get it.

"On the one hand you have people saying, 'We want her to be hard and raunchy and explicit', and on the other hand there's, 'Nicki Minaj, would you stop swearing for the children, please'."

Minaj continued: "It's like, what d'you want me to be? How many different people can I f**king be?"

The hip-ho! p star a lso admitted that she does not let her younger family members listen to the explicit versions of her albums and always makes sure they own a clean edition.

Nicki Minaj Nicki Minaj attends a album signing for 'Pink Friday: Roman Reloaded' at Best Buy in Harlem New York City
Nicki Minaj

Rex Features / KeystoneUSA-ZUMA

"I don't want children cursing. I'm very strict on my nieces and my little brother. They have to listen to clean versions of music. Even my music.

"If you asked any adult, 'Would you like your children knowing every part of your life and speaking exactly the way you speak when you talk to adults?', they'd say 'no', so I'm a firm believer in children remaining children."

Nicki Minaj's second studio album Pink Friday: Roman Reloaded reached number one in the US and UK upon its release earlier this month.

> Nicki Minaj debuts new 'Starships' music video - watch

Watch Digital Spy's interview with Nicki Minaj below: