Nicki Minaj: 'I never want to be poor again'

Nicki Minaj leaving her hotel London

WENN / Craig Harris/WENN.com

Nicki Minaj has said that her experience of poverty makes her more driven to succeed.

The rapper told Contactmusic that her "crazy childhood" has given her more faith in herself.

Minaj said: "I never want to go back to being poor. Once you have a taste of that you will always be driven. I know what that felt like and I don't want to feel it ever again.

"So yeah, I mean my childhood was crazy but it got me to the point where I had so much faith in whatever I was doing. I just always feel where there's a will there's a way, and I live my entire life that way now."

She went on to suggest that people from privileged backgrounds may be unable to cope in the music business.

"If you are born with a silver spoon in your mouth and you come into this business you're going to get let down a lot," she said. "And it will probably send you crazy.

"This is only for the mentally strong. If you're not, then it's not going to work."

Last week Minaj's father spoke out against her allegations that he had been abusive during her childhood.

> Nicki Minaj meets fans at London new album signing - pictures

Minaj announced a short UK tour last month, with shows in London, Birm! ingham a nd Manchester.

Watch the video for Minaj's 'Beez In The Trap' below: